Grazia questioned 5,000 women in over 20 Cities through the United Kingdom.
The results to follow show the extent of the 'body hatred' epidemic amongst
women, an infection that needs to be stopped to free ourselves and the next generation.
* The survey shows the average British woman worries about the size and
shape of her body EVERY 15 MINUTES - more than men think about sex (every 20
* Only a tiny 2% of women in the UK are 'happy with their body and more than seven out of
10 women think 'their whole life would improve GREATLY if they had a good
* Almost a THIRD of British women say they 'constantly worry about their
body - every waking minute' (29%) - and on average they wish they were 19lbs
* On average, women wish they were 19lbs slimmer and HALF of ALL women think
their body size and shape 'spoils their sex-life' (51%)
* They put their whole body under the microscope and are dissatisfied with
every part of it - 87% hate their 'podgy thighs', 79% are unhappy with their
'waist', 65% are disappointed with 'the size and shape of their boobs', the
same number are 'unhappy with their feet' (65%), 59% are 'unhappy with their
face', 59% are disappointed with their 'hands/fingers', 57% are 'unhappy
with their teeth', 56% say their hair is 'thinnish', 62% dislike their
'neck', 63% say their 'arms are chunky', 64% say their 'legs are chunky' and
HALF say they've got 'Muffin tops' (51%) - podgy roll(s) sticking out over
the top of their waistband.
* The only part of their body British women seem reasonably pleased with is
their 'slimmish ankles' (54%).
* They will try ANYTHING to lose weight. Incredibly, more than a THIRD of
British women have used 'slimming pills' of one kind or another (34%) and
20% have taken 'laxatives'. A THIRD have tried 'fasting' (31%), 37%
'exercise excessively' to lose weight and SIX out of 10 women 'skip meals'
(56%). SEVEN out of 10 women are so diet savvy they can 'look at a plate of
food and say how many calories there are on it' (66%).
* The Female Body Survey, commissioned by GRAZIA, shows British women have a
love/hate relationship with FOOD. Almost TWO-THIRDS 'lie about the amount
they eat' (64%) - 78% of those under 30 - and 56% 'eat in secret'. Seven out
of 10 admit they have a constant battle with their 'sweet tooth' (71%), HALF
say they have 'eaten a whole packet of biscuits in one go' (50%) and a THIRD
have 'bought a whole cake, eaten a piece and thrown the rest away' (32%).
Seven out of 10 say they are 'snackaholics' (68%), but reassuringly 32%
'cook healthy meals from scratch each day'.
* A woman's Top 10 'body downfall' foods are: 'chocolate' (51%), 'crisps and
savoury snacks' (39%), 'bread' (38%), 'wine' (34%), 'cheese' (32%),
'biscuits' (29%), 'cakes' (24%), 'chips' (13%), 'lager' (8%) and 'spirits'
* Nine out of 10 British women diet (88%) - 41% 'constantly' - and although
62% say they have managed to 'reach their target weight', nearly ALL have
'put weight back on' (93%) - of these, HALF put 'most of it back on' (49%)
and 44% 'some of it'. Meanwhile, HALF of all women 'lie about their weight'
(50%) and a THIRD 'cut-out dress-size labels' (29%).
* However, despite their obsession with body size and image, 55% rarely
exercise - although 35% do exercise 'three times a week' and 10% every day'.
* Meanwhile, one in 10 women in the UK now openly admit to having cosmetic
surgery - a further 54% intend to have it - with the most popular cosmetic
procedures being 'cosmetic dentistry' (22%) and 'breast enhancement' (22%),
'Botox' (20%), 'injectable fillers' (16%), 'liposuction' (12%) and 'breast
reduction' (12%), 'nose job' (10%), 'lines/bags around the eyes' (6%) and
'lip enhancement' (6%), a 'face-life' (2%) and a 'chemical facial peel'
Women in MANCHESTER are the 'most body-obsessed in Britain', BELFAST women
have the 'lowest body image' and women in BRISTOL are the most likely to
have had 'cosmetic surgery'. Meanwhile, women in NEWCASTLE have the 'most
positive body image' and women in OXFORD think they are the 'prettiest' (see
complete Regional breakdown).